A neighborhood located New York’s northwestern portion is Jackson Heights, within the borough of Queens and a portion of Queens Community Board. There was a population of about 108,000 in the neighborhood as on 2010. LaGuardia is located 1.7 miles to its south and Midtown Manhattan 12.2 miles northeast.
Jackson Avenue was the name, from where Jackson Heights was derived. It was in 1859 that the road was built across Jackson Heights by John C. Jackson. Although the place is not high, its name has been kept to show that originally, it was meant to be quite an exclusive one. The area until 1916 was known as ‘Trains Meadow’. However, the fact is that few trains ply in the area and hence, the name has been suspected to be a corrupted version from ‘drain’.